5 min read
As we say goodbye to 2019 and hello to 2020, this is a great opportunity to reflect on the past year and decide how we want to move forward into the new year. Making New Year’s resolutions is something many people do in order to get their year started off on the right foot. While it’s easy to make these resolutions with the best of intentions, it can be hard to stick with them as the year goes on. We’ve put together some of our favorite tips for truck drivers. You can incorporate them into your personal and professional goals whether it’s this January or well into 2020. It’s never too late to make some changes!
Tips for your health
- Don’t skip meals. This can cause you to overeat later in the day. Breakfast is generally a common meal that people skip, but it’s essential for giving your body the fuel it needs to get through the morning.
- Keep a food diary. Find it hard to remember everything you ate yesterday? Writing it down will help you keep track of the food you’re consuming on a regular basis. This makes it easier to track your eating and snacking habits so you can make any needed adjustments.
- Snack intentionally. As a truck driver and as someone who puts in long hours in a work day, snacking is likely inevitable. Stock your truck with healthy snack items like freshly cut fruit and vegetables and nuts.
- Prep your meals ahead of time and package them for your time on the road. This will help minimize eating out on the road and saves you valuable cooking time.
- If you must eat out, make healthier food choices. Opt for grilled items instead of fried, order a side salad instead of french fries, and consider drinking water or unsweetened tea with your meal instead of drinks full of sugar.
- Get enough sleep at night. If you’re having trouble falling or staying asleep, or if you’re still feeling tired after sleeping, it may be time to schedule an appointment with your doctor.
Tips for your fitness goals
- Check out YouTube and online articles for workouts that can be done with no or minimal equipment in or around your truck. Averitt has a great one to get you started.
- Some Averitt service centers have our own fitness centers. This is a great perk that allows Averitt drivers to stay fit and get more things done in one stop. You can read more about our service centers here.
- If having a gym membership is important to you, consider joining a national chain that will allow you to stop in for a workout anywhere along your route.
- Commit to going for a daily walk. This is one of the simplest ways to get your body moving and it doesn’t cost a single cent.
Tips for your professional life
Find a career home you’ll really enjoy. If you’re not happy with your current company, outline your professional goals and what you want from your truck driving career. Do you need better pay? Is more home time an attractive benefit? Research carriers that can fulfill your needs and fill out those applications. You might find this blog post helpful as you go through the job search process.
Make the most of your career with your current carrier. Look at other opportunities where you are that can help you grow professionally. At Averitt, we have a “Promote from Within” mindset that gives our driver associates the opportunity to move into different roles whenever possible.
Get involved at your current company. Many carriers have opportunities for drivers to serve on a driver advisory committee or volunteer for projects such as Wreaths Across America throughout the year. Averitt makes this a priority with our associates through our Team Up Community Challenge which supports local charities and organizations. Charities that have benefited from Averitt’s volunteers and contributions include American Cancer Society, Arthritis Foundation, American Lung Association, Humane Society, March of Dimes, Second Harvest Food Bank, and many others. A high priority for us is our Averitt Cares for Kids initiative. This effort focuses entirely on children, pledging contributions to causes such as St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
Look for these advantages when considering a professional change:
- Use a healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA) to help save money by paying health-care costs pre-tax
- Work for a company like Averitt that offers a strong per diem program, plus lower-cost medical, dental and vision benefits
- Park and utilize showers at a service center rather than paying for those services at a truck stop
- Save money by quitting smoking. Averitt supports associates with a smoking cessation program.
- Take advantage of free health screenings, if your company provides them, for you and your spouse to keep your health on track.
Tips for your finances
- Make a budget. If you can see where you have money coming in and how you’re spending it each month, you’ll have a better idea of where the extra is or whether you need to cut back your spending.
- Find ways to save money on the road by packing meals from home and taking advantage of discounts at truck stops.
- Work for a company that brings you affordable health insurance benefits, provides you with paid time off, gives you bonus pay opportunities and helps you invest in your retirement plan through a company-funded profit-sharing plan.
Tips for your relationships
- Choose a company that helps you balance your work life and home time.
- Stay connected with friends and family with the help of technology. A mobile device can help you stay in touch by calling, texting, video chatting, and sending photos.
- During your home time, set aside time for you and your partner to connect one-on-one. You’ll often have friends and other family wanting to spend time with you but carving out that time with your partner is so important.
What kinds of changes are you planning to make for 2020? Averitt is always here to support our associates so if we can help in any way, let us know!
At Averitt Express, we’re always looking for quality drivers. Whether you’re a seasoned truck driving pro or former military making the transition to a civilian career, we have a lane for you. Turn Here. Click below to see a list of current open positions in your area!