5 min read
DRIVEN BY PURPOSE
HOW AVERITT IS MOVING SUSTAINABILITY FORWARD
The business choices we make today directly affect the world we'll leave behind tomorrow. That's why at Averitt, we're always looking for new and better ways to minimize our impact on the environment. That drive is part of our culture. It's a promise to friends and family as well as our customers and fellow associates. But in a larger sense, it's a commitment to future generations - individuals we'll never meet, but who'll hopefully enjoy a cleaner Earth in part because of our efforts. It's for you - and them - that we pledge our best and ongoing efforts at protecting the health of our precious planet.
EVERY DECISION MATTERS
At Averitt, we understand the vital role sustainability plays in the transportation industry. Certainly, we all share a responsibility for the health of our planet. But there's an added obligation on those in our business to exercise proper environmental stewardship. Our actions have a real and lasting impact on the carbon footprint of each of our customers. That's a responsibility we don't take lightly. So we work hard to integrate sustainable business practices into every facet of our daily operations.
REAL DAILY IMPACT
Averitt is proud to be a founding member of SmartWay®.This program was created in 2004 by the Environmental Protection Agency to reduce transportation-related emissions and improve supply chain efficiency. As one of only 52 charter members, we agreed to meet specific environmental and energy-saving goals while sharing our progress annually with the EPA. Through this program, we established a systematic approach to both reduce emissions and conserve fuel. As a result, we've earned a SmartWay score of 1.25, which represents "Outstanding Environmental Performance," according to the EPA.
SINCE JOINING THE SMARTWAY PROGRAM, WE'VE ACHIEVED:
SMARTER FUEL AND ENERGY USE
Our team recognizes that fuel conservation represents one of the greatest impacts we can make on the environment. So we're committed to:
- Use biodiesel in select markets.
- Use only ULSD (ultra-low-sulfur diesel) at our in-house fueling stations to reduce emissions of particulate matter and nitrogen oxides.
- Use leading-edge software to plan routes efficiently and alert drivers to the most cost-effective fueling locations.
- Use an automated vehicle ID program that lets drivers bypass weigh stations - reducing unnecessary idling .
- Light facilities with energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs and high bay fixtures, which use about half the energy of HID high bay lamps.
- Utilize underground fuel storage tanks and electronic fueling overflow detection devices at our facilities.
- Operate new low-emission diesel tractor engines.
- Provide drivers with access to a roadside service that enables them to reduce tractor idling when parked for long periods of time.
- Maintain balance within our network to reduce empty miles - reducing emissions and fuel usage.
- Offer both truckload and intermodal services to provide outstanding transit times and mor fuel-efficient transportation.
Reducing our carbon footprint is of the utmost importance. So we never stop looking for better, more environmentally friendly ways to do business every day:
- Recycle all used oil and oil filters.
- Provide numerous e-commerce solutions to dramatically reduce paper waste.
- Capture 100% of the Freon when servicing our tractor A/C units and recycle accordingly.
- Use only nonhazardous waste parts cleaners.
- Use low-viscosity lubricants and engine oils for less frequent maintenance service and fewer waste products.
- Install drive-through tractor wash bays designed to collect and recycle used water.
- Recycle or repair all tires for reuse.
- Encourage associate recycling of plastic and aluminum containers as well as recycling of cardboard at all facilities.
- Recycle all paper used at our corporate headquarters.
- Recycle all scrap metal created from in-house maintenance and body work on tractors and trailers.
Conservation can only take us so far. That's why we continually implement the latest in eco-friendly technologies:
- Establish fleet speed limits and govern tractors accordingly.
- Equip road tractors with auxiliary power units to reduce fuel use from idling when parked for extended periods of time.
- Use technology that gathers data and measures fuel efficiency on an individual tractor level.
- Equip tractors and trailers with LED lights to reduce light bulb failures and replacements.
- Use "Eco-roll" and coast modes to let tractors coast on downgrades and stay in cruise control mode on level grades to maximize MPG.
- Test innovative tires that are designed to keep proper inflation and increase fuel efficiency.
- Equip trucks with systems that automatically shut down idling engines.
- Improve aerodynamics through such modifications as roof fairings, cab extenders, skirt packages and more.
- Utilize engines with the latest technology in exhaust, gas and soot regeneration to reduce emissions.
- Use automatic transmissions with predictive cruise and coast modes for level grades and downgrades to help increasing MPG.
OUR DRIVE HASN'T GONE UNNOTICED
We're proud to have been recognized for our sustainability efforts by some of the industry's leading organizations.
THE PATH TO A CLEANER FUTURE
The business choices we make today directly affect the world we'll leave behind tomorrow.
That's why at Averitt, we're always looking for new and better ways to minimize our impact on the environment.
That drive is part of our culture. It's a promise to friends and family, as well as our customers and our fellow associates.
But in a larger sense, it's a commitment to future generations - individuals we'll never meet, but who'll hopefully enjoy a cleaner earth in part because of our efforts.
It's for you - and them - that we pledge our best and ongoing efforts at protecting the health of our precious planet.
- Gary Sasser, Chairman and CEO, Averitt Express